So a couple of years down the line we are now presented with the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II.
There have been a number of improvements – listed below...
- Minimum focus distance has been massively reduced from 20cm on the Mark I to just 5cm on the Mk II making this new version a much better camera for macro photography.
- The lens itself is now a 24-120mm f2.0-3.9, so a big improvement on it's predecessor's 28-112mm f2.8-5.8, giving more wide angle and more telephoto combined with a faster aperture range to allow more light into the camera.
- The new camera can shoot at 5 frames per second as opposed to 2 on the original version.
- It now has Wi-Fi – allowing easy upload and data sharing with other devices.
- There's a new touch screen for easier use with menu navigation.
- The Mk II has Canon's DIGIC 6 processor – one generation newer than the DIGIC 5 in the first version. This helps make everything happen faster on the new camera.
- Whilst the older version had a (not very good) optical viewfinder, the new version has no viewfinder which has enabled the camera to be slightly smaller in its physical dimensions. There is an optional electronic viewfinder which clips into the top of the camera.
- The Mark II has a newly designed pop up flash that can be pulled backwards to effectively bounce the flash off the ceiling, resulting in much more natural lighting effects...
So all in all, this is a pretty awesome camera – still class-leading with its huge sensor (5x larger than the one in Canon's G16 compact), but with many of the frustrations inherent in the first incarnation now nicely ironed out. Beautifully made and reassuringly robust in the hand it's a pleasure to use. The big sensor and big aperture give pleasing shallow depth of field with lovely blurry backgrounds and beautiful bokeh. The addition of a three dial operation puts all of the cameras features at your fingertips too.
You can see the Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II for yourself in either of our stores (based in Central London or Burgess Hill, West Sussex) or online at www.ParkCameras.com.
premium kit which includes an Electronic Viewfinder (EVF-DC1), a leather case for the camera (DCC-1820), and a leather case for the EVF (which is only sold in the kit). Ask about this kit in store, or visit https://www.parkcameras.com/p/1010074H/compact-cameras/canon/powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-premium-kit.