Canon have recently announced a flurry of firmware updates for various models, including the PowerShot SX280HS, the EOS-1D X and announced development of new firmware for the EOS M.
Firmware Version 18.104.22.168 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:
1. Increases the duration of movie shooting by 20% in cases where the optical zoom is used compared to cameras running Firmware Version 22.214.171.124 or Firmware Version 126.96.36.199 through a reduction in the power consumption of the optical zoom.
* Time under default camera settings, when normal operations are performed, such as shooting, pausing, turning the camera on and off, and zooming.(based on conditions established by Canon).
Under some shooting conditions, the recording time may be shorter than mentioned above.
Recording time with a fully charged battery.
2. Fixes a phenomenon with cameras running firmware version 188.8.131.52, in which the low battery level warning is prematurely displayed while shooting in movie mode.
Firmware Version 184.108.40.206 is for cameras with firmware Version 220.127.116.11 or Version 18.104.22.168. If the camera's firmware is already Version 22.214.171.124, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
For information on how to check your camera’s current firmware version and to download the new version, visit Canon’s website
EOS-1D X Firmware Version 1.2.4
Firmware Version 1.2.4 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes:
Improves the speed of the camera’s acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite’s AF-assist beam.
Reduces the time it takes to display the metering result on the LCD or Viewfinder when the meter has been activated.
Fixes a phenomenon in which a ‘Caution 02’ message is unnecessarily recorded in the camera status log.
Fixes a phenomenon in which continuous shooting pauses when using a Canon Speedlite.
Fixes a phenomenon*, when the GP-E1 is attached, which causes the GPS device settings to be reset to default when the camera has been powered off.
* This phenomenon occurs only with firmware Version 1.2.1.
* After changing the GPS device settings, please be sure to power off the camera before removing the battery. This will ensure that the camera's GPS device settings will be saved.
For information on how to check your camera’s current firmware version and to download the new version, visit Canon’s CPN website.
EOS M Firmware v2.0.0
Canon have announced that a major firmware update for the EOS M is coming at the end of the month.
Firmware version 2.0.0 is predicted to improve autofocus speed - a much-criticised element of the camera's feature set - by a massive 2.3, which has the potential to make the EOS M an altogether more attractive proposition.
We’ll keep you posted on its release.